Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Palm Desert, CA to Las Cruces, NM 1-6 through 1-7-2009

Our week in Palm Desert with my cousin Beth and her husband, Bud Youle was as much fun as last year. It is terrific to have our own personal tour guides who know the local places to eat. We left this view from our coach on January 6th for Gila Bend, AZ.
Since I have been across I-40 and I-10, I wanted to see I-8. We took a two lane road into El Centro where we caught I-8. We saw lots of date palms, the Salton Sea, and the Blue Angels practicing over the Imperial Valley. I missed a picture of a very tall oil tank with "Sea Level" marked about half way up the side at El Centro. This photo is the Imperial Sand Dunes Recreation Area.
Having heard so many people say they spend the winter in Yuma, I wanted to see it. Ted says that it looks a lot bigger and more appealing than when he saw it about 20 years ago. You must have to stay and get to know the place to understand the appeal.
Can't you visualize Randolph Scott, if you are our age or older or a movie buff, riding toward these peaks in Arizona? We saw a huge military transport flying low and very close to another mountain range. It went through a pass that looked way too narrow. This was on the Barry Goldwater Air Force Range.
I never tire of the misty look that mountains can have. Many of you already do this, but today I finally connected my computer to the Internet while we traveled. It was wonderful to answer emails and to look up places that we passed and learn about what we missed. It was fun to check elevations and name the topography. I also researched the next stop for places we might want to see or interesting places to eat. Now Ted is designing a computer desk for the passenger seat that will fold down when not in use. This is Picacho Peak near Tucson. It is an interesting shape for this area. I drove from Gila Bend to Tucson. I asked to be relieved because I remembered the construction that was going on last year. The concrete barriers that narrow the lanes make me nervous as a passenger, let alone as the driver. Since Ted felt rested, we skipped our planned stop in Benson, AZ and drove onto Las Cruces, NM. It was almost 4:30 pm when this photo of the Organ Mountains was taken. This is the office/club house of Hacienda RV Resort in Las Cruces. Since we skipped Benson, we will have tomorrow to be tourists.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hi Ted & Penny,
I just took a trip on your blog site.
It looks like ted's new camara is put to good use.
when are you going to make it to Nashville?
our xmas card to you came back, so we will note your po box for 2009 card.
btw have you tried In/out burger?
the Heatherly Family Reunion is June 27 & 28 in Heber Springs Ark in case it ties in with your travels.
see ya,
Bob & Laura Heatherly
615-944-3665 cell